Our expeditions are split into two parts: Training and Castaway.
During the first 5 days of the expedition you will still be castaway on a remote desert island but with your expedition leader. Your survival course will focus on the 5 key elements of survival. Throughout this phase you will be in 'survival-lite', sleeping in top of the range expedition hammocks and being catered for with a delicious spread of food, much of which is locally sourced from what we can find on the island. We guarantee we catch plenty of fish as throughout this time as we are equipped with spearguns, rod's and cast-nets. The idea being that throughout the education phase we ensures you are and well fed and rested to be best placed to absorb your new skills. Each morning we dedicate a couple of hours to skill development and theory and then spend the afternoons fishing, exploring or simply relaxing in paradise.
The five elements of Desert island survival.
Water - Collected through a variety of techniques. Water is your first and greatest priority.
Fire - Learn how to harness fire starting by a variety of friction techniques
Food - Develop a variety of fishing techniques, how to open coconuts and identify local flora and fauna
Shelter - Even in the tropics exposure can be dangerous and moral sapping.
Psychology -Understand and nurture the mindset that makes all the difference in surviving island isolation.
What skills you will learn in the training phaser
- Primitive technologies: selection and collection of materials for containers
- Traps and hunting equipment.
Jungle sanitation and hygiene.
Jungle navigation and route planning
Suitable equipment and how to care for it.
Rescue: Techniques for gaining attention.
- How to make cordage from natural fibers.
- Shelter: building techniques.
- Water: physiology, collection and disinfection. Solar stills, transpiration.
- Fire making: Bow drill and fire steel, magnification and bamboo saw techniques.
- Identification of flora and fauna for food, fire and other utilities.
- Fishing techniques: Making and using traps, spears.
- Fish identification, preparing and cooking fish
- Traditional cooking methods: Bamboo pot, leaf, clay bakes and smoking racks.
- Coconuts: opening and various uses.
Once you have received your training you are on your own. You are marooned for 3 days with only a machete, knife, basic fishing equipment, medikit and satphone. Its time to put into practice the skills you've learnt. This is it, real survival. For many people this is one of the toughest challenges they have ever endured. when was the last time you did not know where you next meal was coming from? It is a physically and psychologically challenging experience that will hopefully leave you with a great sense of achievement and a deep gratitude for modern convenience. For those wishing for complete solitude for these 3 days we offer the option to add on 'total isolation' package. See dates and prices for more information.